How To Make A Printable Heart Card for Valentines Day
How To Make A Printable Heart Card for Valentines Day -
For those of you who are fond of designs that look three dimensional, vintage and fun, here is a printable heart card for valentines day that you create on your own just by following these steps.
How To Make A Printable Heart Card for Valentines Day – Tutorial :
This tutorial requires minimal photoshop knowledge so don’t worry about the tutorial being too complicated to follow. Let’s begin. 1. Open a new document with a width of 1280 and a height of 800. 2. Once the document is open, we can begin making the heart motif with the use of the pen tool to create this figure:
Be sure to make it in a separate layer.It might not look like a heart just yet, but in after a few more steps it will look like a heart made out of folded paper. I made ‘1’ numbers to mark which shapes will have the same color once we fill it with color later. 3. Make another set of three figures with the pen tool like so:
4. Once again, with the pen tool, outline the inside of the heart:
5. For the next step, fill the first batch of figures (numbered ‘1’) you made with the pen tool with the color #913326. To fill the shapes with color, simply right click at the selection you made with the pen tool and click ‘fill path’. For the second batch of shapes (‘2’) use this color swatch #711712, for the inner heart (‘3’) use this swatch: #a26050. The heart should end up looking like this:
6. Next we add the textures to make the shapes look like paper. For the textures for this tutorial, I used this texture set by Dioma at Deviantart.Once you have downloaded the textures, make IMG_001 and IMG_002 into patterns. Here is how to convert textures into patterns in photoshop.Once IMG_001 and IMG_002 have been converted into patterns, use IMG_001 for the inner texture of the heart and IMG_002 for the folded outer parts by clicking Layer>Layer Style>Pattern Overlay. Set Blend mode to Multiply.
7. The next step is creating shadows for the shapes so that they look folded. Again, for the second batch of shapes created (‘1’), make the shapes black so can act as shadows. Duplicate the layer of the second batch of shapes and adjust the hue to the left most of the slider.
8. After that, select the first batch layer and the hue adjustment layer simultaneously (hold ctrl while clicking on each layer) then convert them into Smart Objects by right clicking the selection and clicking on ‘Create smart object’. Once the layers has been converted to smart objects, apply gaussian blur of around 5 pixels Use the move tool to adjust the ‘shadow’ to the right. Do the same to the second set of shapes (‘2’) until you achieve this look:
9.To make the card more colorful, from the texture pack downloaded earlier, open IMG_006, select all and paste into the background. This next step is making a shadow for the whole heart that has been made so far to make it ‘pop out’ more. Simple select all the layers made so far (except the background layer) and flatten the image. Once the image is flattened, click Layer>Layer Style>Drop shadow. Set blend mode to multiply, opacity to 75, distance to 5, spread, spread to 19, size to 79.
10. Add this banner vector by JovDaRipper (but open it in Adobe Illustrator first and then convert it to png. Open the file and then remove the text, then ‘Save for web and devices’ as png-24.) Apply drop shadow for the banner as well.
11. Add the typography next using this font called Alpha Rope font. In a separate document, type ‘BE MINE’, then duplicate the layers. Rasterize the second layer by right-clicking the layer and clicking on Rasterize Type.
Fill the second layer with the swatch #d9d151 and then save the document by saving for web and devices.
Open the document into the document with the paper heart. Apply Bevel and Emboss and then Drop Shadow on the typography. 12.Next, create a thick stripe in the middle using IMG_002 by opening the texture in photoshop and cutting a rectangular shape from the document.
Paste it in the middle but make sure the layer is beneath all other layers except the background.Apply drop shadow.
13. Next, add another layer fromt he paper textures downloaded earlier as a last touch to the design. Open IMG_001 again and select a rectangular shape to paste in the middle of the strip we put in the middle earlier. Adjust the hue if you like
and apply drop shadow.
[jbox title="Author info"]
Laura Brentley previously worked as a self-employed graphic designer before taking up her position as senior sales manager at Card Printing US, a company which provides variouscard printing products and services. She is also a writer who is a frequent guest contributor on a number of tech and design blogs and sites.